WE DIDN'T DIE!!!!!

By T-Rah



Well, we did it! Shelese and I crossed the finish line!! We ran/walked (we did not run the whole thing...this time) a 5k. We decided we wanted to jump on the "getting in shape/triathlon" band-wagon. Kipp has been doing a few tri's this year, and my sis-in-law Hidee is MISS triathlete. So we decided to start out with a 5k with pretty close to zero training.

(By the way, we aren't putting our fingers up because we are #1...we decided to remind ourselves that this one was our FIRST one...and hopefully we can put up and #2 ...then a 3..etc.:)
This one was fun because they called it 5(K)ard (as in poker)...and at 5 check points on the run we'd pick up a card...if you had a good hand at the end you won certain prizes. I got 3 of a kind (6's)... but it was still good enough to get a small prize. I was one short of getting a sweet workout bag...but the gatorade towel is nice too! lol

My goal was to be under 45 minutes and Shelese's was to be under 60 minutes (don't laugh at us...we haven't been training...back off! :). And we did it! My time was just over 42 minutes and Shelese's was just over 52 minutes! But, we realized after our run that a bunch of us ran an extra 1/2 mile. We weren't familiar with the area and we didn't see any signs, so about half way into it we made our own detour. haha.

After hearing that we were REALLY proud of our times! And now we are hooked! We are already planning another one in November, and hopefully we can find one in October. I'm glad Shelese found this one so close to her home and that I was in town for it...if I hadn't tried a 5k before it started getting cold I would've told myself that I'd "do it next year..." and then I would've found enough lazy excuses to "forget" to train for it. So, THANKS SHELESE.

We are a little sore today...but in a good way. I'm excited to start training seriously on Monday!

 

3 comments so far.

  1. Ashley Hancock September 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM
    Great job! I am impressed! I hate running, so I commend you for doing that! I think you had a great time! No laughing here!
  2. Marcy M Miller September 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    Good job! That sounds like fun, I've been wanting to do a 5K, but just to wimpy to actually to do it!
  3. Gavin and Natalie September 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM
    Oh my word! I'm seriously so impressed. Who would've thought we'd have runners from Labelle. haha. I'm very proud...and feeling quite lazy as I sit on the computer looking at the blog...of you running. :) haha. I feel bad you didn't stop me the other day when we passed in the neighborhood. When I was turning by Kings, I saw a car adn thought that could be Tirra. So I went slowly, but the windows were tinted. You? If so, I should start following my intuitions. haha

Something to say?